St. James was incorporated on August 10, 1846. The building was completed and the consecration and first communion in the completed parish church was celebrated February 27, 1850. By 1863, St. James was home to 53 communicants.
At the turn of the 20th century, several changes made St. James a sturdier building; by 1909 the church looked very much as it does today. Parish growth continued and by 1923 the Vestry structure was established with 2 wardens and 6 Vestry members, as it is currently. There have been many priests in the 167 years of St. James’ existence. Some stayed for many years and some for a short time. But each and every priest, as well as parishioners, have made St. James what it is today– a warm, spiritual, loving church family.